Basically, since Columbus AFB (CAFB) has three parallel runways the actual control tower only "controls" one of the runways. The center runway (the big one) remains under tower control an
d the other two (one for the T-38s and the other for T-6s) are "owned" by their respective RSU's.
I got to work in the RSU today and it was interesting. The crew is made up of two rated officers and two students (three today since I was training). I got the position of "spotter" in which I need to call out tail numbers for landing and departing aircraft, confirm the aircraft configurations when they are landing (gear down, flaps up/down, full stop, etc), and keep a running tally of the number of take offs, landings, and aircraft in the pattern.
The other non-rated job is the recorder, who basically punches all the info I get into a computer as well as has to take notes as directed by the two rated officers.
The two rated officers are basically air traffic controllers, granting aircraft landing and take off clearances.
Anywho, fun day!
Here are some more images from my solo:



That's Mo (nickname) our resident Jordanian exchange pilot. He is a hoot.

No comments:
Post a Comment